September 3, 2009

Life

So I realized the other day that I haven't posted anything in about three weeks. I didn't even realize it! Anyway, here's what's been happening:

- The reunion went well. Mara decided not to go, so our contest ended without a clear winner (or at least that's what I'm letting her think!). It was a small but good turnout. I had a bit too much to drink at the bar, and ended up crashing with a friend in Burbank. The picnic the next day was also fun. Unfortunately the organizer bought too much food, and there was a lot leftover. You can see the pics from the reunion on my Facebook page.

- Despite their not being a contest, I still want to lose weight. My goal is to be down to 150 lbs. by my birthday (which, by the way, is Friday, December 4. We have a fun day planned. We are going ice skating at Riverfront Park, followed by dinner and Guinness at O'Dougherty's. All of you are invited of course). I currently weigh 161.8, down about six pounds since the beginning of the contest. I'll track my progress here, hopefully each week, but maybe not.

- Work is...well, work. I'm still employed, but I don't care for my job that much. I love the people I work with (well, most of them), but having a Masters degree and working a fast food job isn't my idea of a good time. I'm looking for work elsewhere, but of course with the economy being the way it is it's pretty slow going.

- I made a decision regarding my education/employment that I hope is the correct one. I've started looking into Ph.D. programs. I would start next year, with an emphasis in public history (as opposed to 19th century American history, which is what my M.A. is in). That's somewhat problematic, as public history in an academic setting is still fairly new, so many schools don't offer this as an emphasis. But I've identified a few schools that I want to go to, so if they do offer it I will apply there.

That's about it from my neck of the woods. I'll try to post more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment