April 12, 2011

This Date in History: April 12, 1861

You didn't really think I wouldn't blog on this date, did you?

On this date 150 years ago (and, because I'm such a huge history nerd, at the exact same time as this post went online: 4:30 am EST), the newly formed Confederate States of America fired on Fort Sumter in Charleston harbor, signaling the start of the American Civil War.  Over the next four years, the country saw brutal combat that would result in the deaths of over 600,000 Americans.

The next four years of this century will see a number of commemorations, as the country remembers what happened 150 years ago.  Obviously, this blog will do the same.  For my personal commemoration, I will be reading Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative.  Composed of three volumes and coming in at just under 3,000 pages, this is arguably the most in-depth examination of the war.  Originally, I was going to coincide my reading of major events with their 150th anniversary, but after just making my first deadline (the firing on Fort Sumter) with four hours to spare, I decided to just read the book at my own pace, which probably will not take me the four years I had originally planned to take to read it.

So, I hope you will join me as, over the next four years, I remember probably the most important event, outside of the American Revolution, in American history, and certainly the most tragic.

4 comments:

  1. Yea! Reminds of America's amazing history will be good to read again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog, I mean you don't have much of a design on it, plane simple. I appreciate that, because some blogs can be overcolored and overloaded with different useless stuff. I am not american so this article was very useful for me to know, some facts I never learned in History classes, thank you for sharing.

    moving services London

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, sorry about this comment. Just doing some SEO stuff. pointless addicting games

    ReplyDelete